introduction to our municipality
Grundlsee got its name from the lake of the same name and consists
of five villages:
Bräuhof, Gössl, Archkogel and Untertressen.
interesting, that there is actually no village called Grundlsee,
it's really just the lake that gave the municipality its name.
With a surface
of 152,22km2 it is one of the biggest municipalities in Austria
The populated are has an average height of 750m and has a
population of about 1283 people. The Grundlsee is the biggest
lake in Styria (4,14 km2)
A certain kind of administrators of the reign-administrators
was called "Viertelmaenner (or "Viertelleute").
Every section within the ruling district had its own "Viertelmann",
in 1790 the "fishmaster" Josef Kain was in charge
of the district Grundlsee. A "Viertelmann" was
kind of a combination of mayor and policeman. For example
he had to deal with death duties, he had to uphold social
values and make sure people used the dictated lamps and
lanterns instead of open fire.
They were also quite popular to be asked as witness to a
|1861 - 1908 (48 years)
||Franz Gaiswinkler, vlg. Karler, Mosern 13
|1908 - 1922
||Roman Hopfer, vlg. Frosch, Bräuhof
|1922 - 1932
||Rudolf Spieler sen, Bräuhof 42
|1932 - 1935
||Josef Strimitzer, vlg. Laimer, Bräuhof
|1935 - 1938
||Rudi Spieler jun., Bräuhof 42
Rudi Spieler got
removed from office when the national socialists invaded the
country and the mayor of Bad Aussee, Hans Woell stood in for
him. His person to turn to, for the population People from Grundlsee
was the town-community leader Franz Hillbrandt. After he got
conscripted to the armed forces, the pharmacist Robert Schadler
got mayor of Grundlsee and Bad Aussee until the end of war.
In May 1945 the American occupying forces assigned the salt-works
employee Johann Amon (Bräuhof 70) to be mayor of Grundlsee,
which remained until the first municipal elections after the
second world war in 1950!
|1950 - 1980
||Leopold Köberl, vlg. Hausermann, Mosern
|1980 - 1992
||Franz Viertbauer, Gößl 156
||Josef Amon, vlg. Halter, Bräuhof 139
Since 1992 Josef
Amon,vlg. Halter, Bräuhof 139, employee of Federal Railways
All municipalities of the Ausseerland belonged to Oberösterreich,
on the 1.7.1948 they became part of Styria again.
the 02. 08. 1188 Grundlsee was documentary mentioned for the
.... HUJUS DONATIONIS
APUD CHRUNGILSE, FACTE TESTES ... - The first documentary mention
dated on the 2.8.1188.
Duke Ottokar 4 sealed three documents, which however burnt during
the big fire of Stift Admont (religious foundation in Admon)t
in 1865. But at least one copy of the three documents (made
in the 13th century) remained; it can be found in the archives
of Stift Admont,
Grundlsee or parts of it must have been populated much earlier
though. This is indicated by a couple of discoveries, like a
jug, which was coincidentally found during digging-activities
around the "Stöcklhaus" in Gaiswinkel. It was
dated in the 8th century!
fishing industry in Grundlsee
In those days the
fishing-industry of Grundlsee, was an important income of the
A document from 1442 says that only 8 out of the 16 Hallinger
had the right to do fishing in the Grundlsee.
From around 1450-1476 Wolfgang Braun leased the right to fish
in the Grundlsee. He paid 32 pounds Pfenninge and 1000 Saibling
(a very popular fish-type) a year (1 pound Pfenningen = 8 Schilling
= 240 Pfenninge)
In 1493 Barbara Frosch gave her entire share of her fathers
inheritance to the hospital in
Bad Aussee, for they admitted him for nursing.
Towards the end of the 15th century, Grundlsee became a department
on its own.
Emperor Maximilian the first assigned Andrea Wagen to be administrator.
He supervised 8 offices, one of them in Grundlsee.
At the end of the 15th century, Grundlsee became a department
on it's own and for the first time, a "fishmaster"
Unlike Altausee, the right to fish in Grundlsee was never
private property, but always belonged to the reign.